Latest School Announcements
Mr Ali Kourouche has organised our annual end of year ‘Aquatic Fun Day’. The children will be engaged in a myriad of indoor sports and swimming. A day full of fun for all the children K-6. Parents are invited to attend and accompany their children.Read More >>
Parents and families are invited to attend the end of year K-6 Presentation Night. Come along and enjoy the presentations and Powerpoints showcasing the talents of our students. We also have a myriad of trophies to be presented to our students. The Presentation Night will be held in the school hall from 5pm.
A reminder that ALL CHILDREN MUST BE PICKED UP AT 1PM. There will be no after school care on presentation night.Read More >>
The time has come to farewell your child’s primary school years. As part of that celebration, the Year 6 children will have their Graduation Dinner. The dinner will include a graduation ceremony, Middle Eastern cuisine, farewell video presentation and cake.
- Place: Summerland Restaurant
- Address: Chapel Rd, Bankstown
- Date: Wednesday 9th December 2015
- Time: 5pm
The whole school will on an excursion on Tuesday 8th December.
- The K-2 children will be visiting Sydney Olympic Park. The buses will depart at 9am and return by 3:30pm.
- The children Years 3-6 will be visiting Jamberoo. The buses will depart at 8am and return to school at 4pm.
As you are aware, some children have been chosen to represent Arkana College on a visit to the Islamic Museum of Australia in Victoria on Tuesday 1st December 2015.
Please be aware of the following:
- The children will travel on Tuesday 1st December 2015.
- Parents are responsible for dropping their child off and picking them up from the T2 Terminal at Sydney’s Domestic Airport.
- They will board a Jetstar flight to Melbourne Tullamarine on JQ507 at 0825. Children are to be at the airport no later than 0715. We will be meeting at the Azucar Café in the T2 Jetstar Terminal.
- They will return the same day on JQ522 landing in Sydney at 2105.
- Whilst in Melbourne, the children will get the opportunity to visit the Islamic Museum in Thornbury.
- The children will have lunch at Samira’s Café at the museum. A buffet has been organised for the children by the school.
- The children will then take a sight-seeing tour through the city and St Kilda (depending on time) before returning to the airport.
- There is no cost for this trip.
- Although children will not be in school uniform, we are requesting them to be in neat presentable clothing. Please, no thongs or sandals. Also be mindful of the weather in Victoria so please ensure your child has a jacket/cardigan.
- The children can bring money to buy a souvenir, snacks and for the purchase of a meal at Melbourne Tullamarine before returning to Sydney.
Gold Coast Booking Reminders
- Our Year 6 ‘BIG DAY OUT’ to the Gold Coast is on Wednesday 25th November 2015.
- We will depart on JETSTAR JQ402 from Sydney at 0705. Please arrive at the T2 Domestic Airport at 6am. Mr and Mrs Murgatroyd from Azucar’s Café at the airport have kindly, once again, organised breakfast before we depart.
- The Parent Council have organised a halal lunch for the students at Movie World.
- We will return on JETSTAR JQ425 departing Gold Coast at 1920 and arriving in Sydney at 2150.
- Movie World entry (through the school booking) has been organised for the children and the tickets will be collected upon arrival at the theme park. Any parents accompanying us can purchase their tickets on the day through the school booking form. This way, the cost is much less.
- We have organised a coach for transportation of students, staff and parents.
- Children will get the opportunity to purchase dinner at the domestic airport before we return.
- Please send your children with money, sunscreen and a hat. A small backpack can be brought with them if they wish.
- Please note that there will be no swimming on the day.
There is no better way to farewell the current year than participating in our school camp. Students from Year 5 and 6 will be able to participate in an experience that they will remember for years to come. We have organised to travel to the foreshore of Lake Macquarie in the Hunter Valley, Myuna Bay, which is about one and a half hour’s drive north of Sydney and about 40 minutes south of Newcastle.
Students will discover new skills and new experiences. They will take part in the sport and education centre’s outdoor education program. Using the traditional camp experience students will participate in outdoor activities such as kayaking, canoeing, raft building, rock climbing, bush walking and archery, just to name a few of the activities which are on offer at the centre.
Students will be sleeping in modern lodges, which accommodate four students per room, with girls and boys separated. Each room has an ensuite. Teachers stay in separate rooms in the lodge. Lodges have heating, air conditioning and a common room with TV and video. Some also have kitchen facilities. The centre provides pillows only; you will need to bring your own linen, sleeping bag or doona. Our school group will be in their own lodge. Nutritious meals are prepared by qualified catering staff in a commercial kitchen, so your child will never go hungry. Food provided will be Halal certified.
Year 5 & 6 students will leave for camp on Wednesday 11th November and return on Friday 13th November. Students must be at school on Wednesday no later than 8:30am for an 8:45am departure and will return to school on Friday at 3:30pm.Read More >>
Arkana College will be holding its first Trivia Night for 3-6 students on Friday the 23rd of October 2015 from 4-5:30pm in the school hall . Tickets for the Trivia Night will be $10.00 per student. There will be prizes for the winners on the night. Money raised from this event will go towards MS Australia.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a condition of the central nervous system, interfering with nerve impulses within the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. MS affects over 23,000 in Australia and more than two million diagnosed worldwide. Most people are diagnosed between the ages of 20-40, but it can affect younger and older people too. There is currently no known cure for MS; however there are a number of treatment options available to help manage symptoms and slow progression of the disease.
The night will consist of fun trivia question rounds appropriate and suitable for all students. Students will be placed in groups of various age groups to compete against each other to the final round. Snacks and drinks will be provided for the students on the evening. All students are encouraged to attend the fun filled night to raise money for a great cause!Read More >>
On 13-15th October, students in Kindergarten to Year 6 will take part in the Global online event – ‘The World Education Games’ with the focus being on English (13/10), Mathematics (14/10) and Science (15/10). It will allow students to join over 5 million other children from across the world to compete in a range of enriching, challenging as well as fun filled activities. Medals and trophies for winning students and schools will be made available. The event is entirely free.
Warm up activities have started for the event. Students may access the activities by logging into the Mathletics website. They are to use their current Mathletics password and are to click on ‘Live Mathletics’.Read More >>
The children will participate in Gymnastics this term for sport. Every Friday, the children, K-6, will jump off the beam, flip off the bars and reach for the stars!Read More >>
To celebrate Eid Al Adha, the parent council will be organising a Eid fete beginning at recess (11am). There will be an array of activities for the children to participate in. Parents are most welcome to attend and enjoy the day with the child(ren). Children are to come to school in Mufti / comfortable clothes and shoes (closed shoes only).Read More >>
Our Prelit classes, every Thursday and Friday mornings from 9-11:30am will begin on the 8th October 2015 and conclude Friday 4th of December 2015.
Prelit is a skills-based, early literacy preparation program for preschool children in the year before school. It is designed to complement a play-based learning environment and provides children with a sound foundation for learning to read. It is essential for Kindergarten students who have started school without the necessary emergent literacy skills.Read More >>
We wish every student a happy and enjoyable holiday. School will resume on Tuesday the 6th of October 2015.Read More >>
The Kindergarten students of 2016 and their parents are invited to attend Orientation Day on Friday 11th September 2015. It will be an opportunity for the students to be introduced to the Principal, the current Kindergarten teacher/coordinator and Arabic and Quran staff.
This opportunity will also allow parents to be briefed on the history and the daily running of the school, as well as shown the uniform attire . The current Kindergarten teacher will address parents in relation to preparation for school and be given an overview of curriculum areas that are covered.
The pre-kindy children will have the opportunity to complete some relevant learning tasks in Literacy and Numeracy, as well as meet their buddies. Families will be given Information Packs with a variety of materials to allow for a smooth transition into the Arkana community for 2016.
The pre-kindy classes, due to commence in Term 4, will also be elaborated on and the parents will be given an opportunity to ask any questions they would like addressed.Read More >>
Mr Ali Kourouche has been busy organising swim school for the final two weeks of Term 3. The children will be swimming at the Hurstville Aquatic and Leisure Centre daily. Swim times are indicated below:
- Years 5 & 6 12:15-1pm
- Years 3 & 4 1-1:45pm
- Years 1 & 2 1:45-2:30pm
- Kindergarten 2:30-3:15pm
Kindergarten parents are encouraged to assist their children in the afternoon.Read More >>
To celebrate Literacy and Numeracy Week, Arkana College has organised a myriad of activities for the students spread over the term. They include:
- Author Visit on Thursday 13/8
- Book Character Parade 28/8
- Mathematics K-6 Incursion 1/9
- Spelling Bee K-6 3/9
The children will come to school in the favourite denim jeans to support Jeans 4 Genes Day. Arkana College will get behind the day and raise valuable funds for Children’s Medical Research Institute’s fight against childhood genetic disease. A gold coin donation per student is requested on the day.Read More >>
We will be having our annual Anasheed Concert on Friday 24/7 in the school hall from 2-3:30pm. The classes have paired up this year and the children are ready to SING. Come along and enjoy the presentations prepared for you. The Parent Council will also be organising a sausage sizzle prior to the concert for our students.Read More >>
Inshallah, you have all had an enjoyable break and a blessed Ramadan and Eid. We will resume Term 2 on Tuesday 21st of July Inshallah.Read More >>
Eid Mubarak to all our families and friends. Inshallah, you all have an enjoyable day surrounded by all your loved ones.Read More >>